YOU OWN EVERY STEP FROM THE CO-OP TO GLOBAL MARKETS
Ready to unlock new opportunities? An extensive supply chain network lets you grow what you want with the support to get it to customers around the world.
CHS grain marketing statistics
- 22.5 million tons of grain moved by rail every year
- 220 oceangoing vessels loaded every year at CHS export terminals
- grain marketed in more than 65 countries
- 1,400 barges loaded every year at CHS river terminals
- 11.26 million bushels of grain storage in the United States
- 6 export terminals serving U.S. growers
- 2 billion bushels of grain sold annually
- a digital supply chain that delivers real-time data and visibility with monitors and sensors to track stats and avoid delays
Tracking every bushel from farm to customer
Here’s one way supply chain traceability maintains grain value from start to finish.
Steps of the grain shipping process
- North Dakota farmers harvest durum wheat
- Durum wheat is trucked to the local co-op and loaded onto railcars
- It travels 600 miles to the port in Superior, Wisconsin
- There, 210 railcars are loaded per ship at the port
- The ship travels 2,340 miles through the St. Lawrence Seaway
- The ship then travels 5,300 miles across the Atlantic Ocean
- The durum wheat from North Dakota is unloaded and travels 115 miles to the grain buyer in Parma, Italy
- Pasta made from the durum wheat reaches consumers’ tables throughout Europe, more than 8,500 miles from where it started
LEARN MORE AT COOPERATIVEOWNERSHIP.COM
© 2021 CHS Inc.